Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Mais Oui, Je Parle Francais!



This week has been great! Hong Kong is just the best.  There are like 170 missionaries (I think) in the mission and there are 7 Mandarin sisters.  Four of us are in the Victoria 3 branch.  It meets in the Wan Chai building (probably the coolest church building ever ... it's like a skyscraper).  Our branch is the only fully Mandarin branch in HK.  Sister Garlitz and my area is HK Island.  All of Hong Kong is split into several parts: New Territories, Kowloon, Hong Kong Island, (and then there are one or two more but I don't remember their names). The other sisters in our branch cover Kowloon. But, we all go to the Wan Chai (in HK Island) branch because it is the only Mandarin one.  There are also 4 Mandarin elders in our branch (two in HK Island and 2 in Kowloon).  The members in our branch are all so great! My Mandarin is kind of terrible but they are all really patient with me!



Hong Kong is so fun! There are just like a bazillion buildings everywhere! And there are also lots of pretty parks! It's also super hot...and we don't have air conditioning. I'm a bit scared to see what summer will be like! Our apartment has some bugs.  The other day I left our apartment and walked into the hallway of our building and there was a huge cockroach hanging outside our door.  Also, people here don't drink cold water ... ever. So that's something to get used to. But, no matter I still love it here!
 

So this is what we did this week:

On Tuesday we went finding in a little island right next to HK Island called Ap Lai Choe (It means Duck Tongue Island in Cantonese).  It is such a cute place!

On Friday we had Halloween! But we didn't celebrate or anything :( but we did have a zone training meeting.  Our zone is the international zone. SO it has the 8 Mandarin missionaries who go to the Victoria 3 branch, 5 sets of Tagalog missionaries, and then two sets of elders who were originally called Cantonese but are now serving in the English branch.  So they do all their work with foreign people who are working in HK.  Somehow they found out that I had studied French for a while and they were so excited because they had a French family that they were teaching.  They asked me to write out a simple prayer for them (thanks goodness at BYU we had to pray in class!)  It felt awesome to be using my French!

Saturday we had a great lesson with one of our investigators!  She is from Taiwan and she is so nice!

Sunday was awesome! We met with one of our investigators again and she is just the best! She came to church for the third time! We had a lesson afterwards about The Plan of Salvation and she told us that she wants to meet more often so we can study scriptures together! Sunday night we had dinner with a recent convert! She is like 30 and has the cutest 4 year old son! Her mom was in town from Shanghai so she made us some yummy food.  I need to learn to eat slower though...because as soon as my plate is half empty they fill it right back up and I can't say that I'm full so I just have to keep eating! It's so much food!

We have several lessons lined up for this week which I am really excited about! Sister Garlitz is a great trainer and is teaching me so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment